“To be or not to be” the choice is yours. The choice that is very rare in the universe belongs only to human race. Nature has to follow the dictates of its laws and instincts. Nature cannot have a say in determining its destiny.
Human beings have a choice to live up to their likes and dislikes. They can also change the direction of their life. This is a unique and special choice given to human beings since they have been created in the likeness and image of God. They are in the possession of qualities such as love, kindness, compassion, justice and harmony which are inborn in every human being, but need to be developed and nourished.
Like a small sapling that grows with the care of a loving gardener, similarly each individual needs to develop his/her innate qualities individually, with the help of a teacher or parent. Teachers and parents have this great bounty to help young minds to develop their potential.
During learning process, a child begins, by basically copying an adult’s example. The child is initially unable to achieve a given task without assistance. However he is, at a certain time, capable of achieving more complex tasks with adult’s assistance. “The Zone of Proximal Development, or ZPD, refers to the distance between what a child can do with assistance and what the child can accomplish without assistance” Vygotsky (1978).
- Creativity is not copied therefore it needs to be done individually and independently. However the proper guidance can enhance these skills.
- Critical thinking will allow the child to examine facts without other’s influence.
- Communication through different modes makes it easy to express needs and wants therefore it is a means to other goals.
- Making Choices although it is an individual decision but the intervention of a trusted adult can make a lot of difference and help the child to tread a straight path.
Parents and teachers can help this process by:
- Explicitly activate learners’ prior understanding.
- Use their knowledge of learners’ prior understanding to differentiate tasks and activities that will build up the further background knowledge necessary for new learning to occur.
- Record information in journals to assess the progress.
- Brainstorming, mind mapping and personal experiences are great help in building the bridge beyond zone of proximal development.
Universal Human Value Educator